The DeKalb County Marshal’s Office was established by an Act of the Georgia Legislature in 1951. Through this Act and subsequent amendments, the Office was given the authority to enforce all orders and directives of the State and Magistrate Courts of DeKalb County.
The State of Georgia fully recognized this Office as a Law Enforcement Agency, certified through the Georgia Peace Officer’s Standards and Training Council. The Office is empowered to protect life and property, arrest violators of the law, and enforce all federal, state and local laws and ordinances coming within the Office’s jurisdiction.
The DeKalb Marshal’s Office is made up of the Marshal, 26 sworn deputies and 5 civilian employees. The office serves over 75,000 documents and performs over 3,000 evictions annually.
The Marshal’s Office has been under the leadership of six Marshals since its inception. They are:
R. Kenneth Cheek (Interim Marshal, 2004)
Leonard E. Thrower (1992 – 2004)
Judson S. Nelms (1990 -1992)
Willie L. Austin (1967 -1990)
Arthur Withers (1951- 1966)