Once you have completed the dispossessory process, obtained your Writ of Possession and need to evict your tenant, you must:
- Allow 2 business days for the Writ to reach the Marshal’s Office.
- Call the Marshal’s Office at 404-371-2930 between the hours of 8:30 A.M. and 4:30 P.M. to schedule an appointment for the eviction.
- Evictions must be scheduled within 30 days of the issuance of a Writ.
- You must provide sufficient labor to safely remove all items (usually a minimum of 5 workers).
- You can contact one of the companies that specializes in evictions.
- You must provide a way to gain entry to the property (such as pass key or a Locksmith).
- Once the Deputy has made a safety sweep of the location and given you permission to start, have your labor crew remove all items belonging to the defendant(s) and place them on the closest right-of-way. Items removed from apartments or condos can be placed in the nearest parking space.
- The Deputy will post a Criminal Trespass Warning notice on the door and return possession to the landlord upon completion of the eviction.
- Once the Deputy has completed the eviction, evicted items are considered abandoned, per Georgia Law (O.C.G.A. 44-7-55).
- In an effort to Keep DeKalb Beautiful and avoid a Code Enforcement violation, it is reminded that the homeowner is responsible to arrange for the removal of all debris and trash from the property. As a courtesy, the Marshal’s Office will notify Sanitation of evictions on single family residences (houses). However, it still remains the homeowner’s responsibility to ensure the debris and trash are removed.
- Bring large bags or boxes to pack smaller items (such as Contractor Clean-up bags).
- Change all locks and secure the location immediately upon the competition of the eviction.
- Vehicles can be removed by a wrecker service of your choosing and expense.
For further information, please call the Marshal’s Office at 404-371-2930.